Ok, first off...let me say that I totally called it in a discussing over on spnforthesane this week. Someone was talking about how they didn't fully understand why Sam felt he had to use his demon-powers now that Dean was back from the dead, and I said:
"Dean was always the solid unshakable force in Sam's life. The one thing he could always depend on. Dean's death shattered that, but it didn't just return when Dean returned. The Dean that returned to Sam is broken and VULNERABLE. This is new for Sam, and I think he is trying to protect his brother the only way he knows how...by going into full-on kill-the-bitch mode."
...which is basically confirmed within the first 15 minutes of the show, when Sam tells Ruby that Dean's not up for the job, that he's not strong enough.
Ok...now on to the actual episode:
WTF! Sam's addicted to demon blood now!!?!?!!? Holy crap, Sammy! How far down the rabbit hole have you fallen?! I know you are frickin' useful, but there is NOTHING good about drinking demon blood, especially if it gives Ruby that self-satisfied smile (as far as I'm concerned, that just proves that she has been up to no good from the start.)
I don't even want to talk about poor Dean...ugh, that broke my heart nine ways from Sunday. Dean breaking starts the apocalypse...the angels arriving too late...and you KNOW he's thinking "if I had just held on a little longer" and then there's Alastair telling him that it was supposed to be John, but that John wouldn't break...that John was down there for a century and didn't break...and so now not only has Dean started the apocalypse, but he's also not measured up to his Dad. Dean already hero-worshipped him, and now...now he feels like a huge disappointment to the only guy he ever wanted approval from. The only guy he ever NEEDED approval from. It just broke my heart at the end, him crying, and telling Cas that it's too much, that they're screwed.
And how much does it suck that he's there crying in front of a semi-emotionless angel, instead of someone who will give him hugs and tell him that his father still loves him.
So, things we learned...
1. The reason Dean was saved. Interesting to note: The demons had originally planned to use John, yet there were no angel armies saving him at the time - so, either the angels didn't know that was the plan then and only found out when Dean went under, or Alastair was lying, or the angels knew Dean would break, or the angels only bothered rescuing him once he broke. Personally, sadly, I think it's probably the first one.
2. Sam's drinking Ruby's blood. Bad Sam!
3. Sam can kill demons and also make them tell the truth - handy skills! though I disapprove of their origin! Also, I LOVE Castiel's face when Sam is working his stuff. There's something there.
4. John was in hell for a century of hell time, meaning he was dead for 10 months before the Devil's Gate opened. In my timeline, I have it at 9.5 months, which I consider close enough to say that I'm completely correct! Woo! I'm awesome!
Things I loved...
1. Sam's "Damn it!" when the angels disappeared with Dean.
2. Cas's line of "Uriel's the funniest angel in the garrison, anyone will tell you that." because it WASN'T an intended joke.
3. The fact that Dean only ever called him Cas (as did Anna, but whatever)...I love the familiarity. I don't ship Dean/Cas, but damn if the cute little shortform doesn't make me feel squishy. I just love nicknames, I guess.
4. Sam killing Alastair - that guy was getting on my nerves.
5. Jensen's acting, as always.
Things I didn't like so much...
1. I'm still iffy on Anna. I don't hate her as much as SOME people do, but I don't know...maybe it's just me distrusting women, I tend to do that.
And that's what I thought (man, my quick reactions are getting longer and longer. Can you tell that I'm just itching to do a Rewatch S4 already and work on my timeline more? But alas, I must wait for the DVDs in the fall.
I am so worried for both our boys...hey, remember when this show was relatively simple? Those were good times. I like these times too, I'm just saying...sometimes I miss the Ghostfacers.